FAQ About Personal Injury Cases

  •  If I am injured in an accident what should I do?

First seek medical attention. In most cases, you have two years from the date of your accident to file a lawsuit against the person or entity that caused your injury, so you have plenty of time to assert your right to seek compensation. In some cases, you have one year to file.

  • Should I talk to the insurance company of the person who caused my injury?

You should not speak to an insurance representative of or consent to giving a recorded statement to the person who injured you unless or until you are advised to do so by a lawyer who is working for you and looking out for your best interests.

  • Should I try to settle with the insurance company on my own?

In most cases, an experienced and skilled personal injury lawyer will get you more compensation than you could get if you try to settle with an insurance company on your own. You should seek the counsel of a lawyer who understands how insurance companies handle claims and who provides a free initial consultation before you attempt to settle a claim on your own.

  • Why do I need an attorney?

A skilled and experienced lawyer knows everything that needs to be included in calculating the compensation you are entitled to recover. You need an attorney that is looking out for your best interests by effectively challenging the defenses that may be asserted by the party that injured you and put together a strong case to use as leverage in settlement negotiations or, if necessary, obtaining a fair jury verdict. Your lawyer will know what documents, information and evidence to gather for making your best case.

  • Should I get my medical records?

In order to develop a claim or case, you will need a copy of all your medical records and billing statements relating to the treatment and care of your injury. If you can, you should try to get all of your records. Under Arizona law, you are entitled to a free or low cost copy of your medical records for your continuing care.

  • What documents should I take to my first attorney visit?

You should take everything that pertains to your loss or injury. This includes, law enforcement accident investigation reports, photographs of the scene and injury, medical records and bills related to treatment of the injury, a copy of your automobile policy if the injury is the result of a motor vehicle accident, and written correspondence with insurance companies. It is recommended that you start a journal of your conversations and interactions with the person who injured you, insurance representatives, and health care providers.

  • When should I speak with an attorney?

When you are physically and emotionally well, you should call to make an appointment with an attorney. You should do this before you speak to an investigator or insurance adjustor that works for the person that the injured you.

  • What kind of attorney should I look for?

You will want to meet with an attorney who has the education, training, experience, and skill to meet all challenges that arise in personal injury and medical malpractice cases. You will also want an attorney who genuinely cares about his clients, regardless the size of the injury or loss, and pays attention to details. Phillip B. Tor has those qualifications and is an excellent choice. He will investigate your claim and consult with you about your case at NO COST. If he believes you have a case and is able to help you, he will discuss how his contingency fee works so that you pay nothing unless and until you receive a fair settlement or judgment.

  • How long will it take to get my medical bills paid?

Like most things in life, it depends. It depends on the nature and extent of your injury, whether or not you have insurance that can take care of your immediate medical needs, and whether or not the person or entity that injured you has certain kinds of coverage.

  • I can't afford to see a doctor, so what should I do?

Some health care providers are willing to provide treatment on a lien and forebear payment until your case settles or results in a judgment. At TORLAW, we will do everything reasonably possible and ethical to find you immediate medical help from while we work hard to get you fair compensation.

  • How much can I expect to get for my damages?

There is no fixed formula for calculating the value of your losses, that is, your damages. The value depends on the reasonable costs of necessary treatment of your accident related injury, the duration of treatment, lost work days, expected future costs of treatment and care, and several other factors that may or may not apply in your case. In addition, the amount of insurance coverage will affect the amount you can expect to recover. At TORLAW we work hard to accurately determine the fair value of your damages and find all available insurance policies and resources to ensure that you are fairly and fully compensated.

  • Will my case go to a trial?

Most cases settle without going to trial because it costs insurance companies money to hire a lawyer to defend its insured. At TORLAW, however, we prepare every case with the same diligence and detail as though we expect to go to trial. Letting the insurance company know we are prepared for litigation gives us leverage to negotiate a fair settlement.

The Law Offices of Phillip B. Tor is located Tucson, Arizona, and serves clients in Tucson, Wilcox, Sierra Vista, Marana, Casa Grande, Eloy, Green Valley, Oro Valley, Nogales, Bisbee, Douglas in the surrounding counties of Pima County, Cochise County, Santa Cruz County, Pinal County in Southern Arizona.